Fiber support. Information that could help you.
Click on the chapters to find the answers to the most frequently asked questions
related to Salt Fiber services.
Top 10 - FAQ
In most cases, this service is included in the activation fee. However, in some special cases (condominium building, single-family home, division of a property, construction of an additional apartment, etc.) you may be charged for additional costs for the installation of the fibre optic plug.
- If you wish to move an already existing fibre optic plug to a different room, the removal and reinstallation are not included in this service and will be at your cost.
- The service includes exclusively the installation of the fibre plug (and not the device setup).
If there is already a fibre plug at your place, please provide us with your OTO ID when you order, to speed up the activation process.
In this case, the installation requires usually around 20 working days.
If not, an electrician first needs to install a fibre optic connection in your building and/or a fibre plug in your flat.
Hence, the installation and activation process can take up to 7 weeks.
OTO stands for "Optical Telecommunication Outlet".
It’s the name given to the fiber connection installed in your home.
The number assigned to this connection – the OTO ID – is unique and allows to identify it precisely.
In order to activate your fiber connection, we need to know the OTO ID assigned to your home.
If your home is already connected to the optical fiber network, you should normally also have an optical telecommunication outlet (OTO).
If you are not sure whether this plug exists, your building management or the previous tenant should be able to provide this information.
The OTO is usually located in the living room, next to the main telephone outlet.
Your OTO ID corresponds to the number printed on the outlet.
As a rule, the OTO ID begins with A or B and uses the following format: A.XXX.XXX.XXX.X.
Important: Even if a building is connected to the fibre network, not necessarily all households are equipped with an optical fiber outlet.
Therefore, it might be necessary to install one to begin with.
Should this be your case please specify so when ordering and we will send an electrician to install one at your place.
A user guide is provided with your Salt Fiber Box.
This user manual is also available online.
Or you can just watch the Unboxing video on our youtube channel.
You will be informed by e-mail which OTO port to use on your fiber plug (generally port 1 or 2).
During the ordering process you can also request a home setup service for your devices (chargeable service, see above).
Please follow the instructions below, in order to check and correctly connect all cables to the Fiber Box:
- Disconnect all cables from the Box and from the OTO plug.
- Reconnect the fiber into the OTO plug on the correct number (port 1 or 2; this information was sent to you by e-mail.)
- Gently pull on the fiber cable to ensure that the cable is properly inserted. You should feel a slight resistance. (See video Salt Fiber Box - Cable check).
- Make sure the small blue lever is pulled upwards. (See video Salt Fiber Box - Blue lever).
- Make sure the grey connector (looks like a USB stick) is in place and cannot be removed. If the connector can be easily removed, it is incorrectly inserted and is not locked by the blue lever.
- Slide the grey connector down and secure the blue lever.
- Plug the fibre cable into the grey connector.
- Check the connection by pulling the cable slightly. If the grey connector comes out, repeat the previous step.
- Reconnect the power supply.
- The Power LED lights up and turns green then, after a few minutes, the Fiber LED lights up.
See also video Salt Fiber Box - Installation.
If the problem persists, please send us the information listed in this PDF document, so we can perform further checks.
- Please follow these step-by-step instructions:
- If the problem persists, please contact us and provide us with the details listed in the PDF document, to allow us to carry out further investigations.
Press the reset switch in the back of the modem with a paper clip or similar object.
You can perform a factory reset from the “Settings” menu:
Settings > System > Reset
Yes, you can keep your existing number.
As soon as you have ordered Salt Fiber, please submit your transfer request in "My Account".
Please note that your fixed phone number can only be transferred within 20 working days after the cancellation of your previous contract.
Please submit your request exclusively via "My Account" as any documents sent by post will not be considered.
In the event of a move, you need to cancel your current Salt Fiber contract and place a new order for your future address.
The activation fee of CHF 99.95 will be applicable again.
However, Salt will reimburse you CHF 50.- on your first invoice to reduce the relocation costs to CHF 49.95.
(Please check if Salt Fiber is available at your new address on fiber.salt.ch).
Call the Salt Fiber Customer Service (0800 700 500) and place a request for move including the date.
Our Customer Service will terminate your current contract at the desired date.
It is your responsibility to place a new order for the future address.
Make sure you order in time taking into account the activation period, respectively the availability of your connection, i.e. of your OTO number.
After your order is completed, you will receive a new Salt Fiber Box and - if you have selected Salt TV - also a new Apple TV 4K.
Once the connection at your previous address is deactivated, you will have to return all associated equipment.
However, you can benefit from our special offer and keep the Apple TV 4K at the preferential price of CHF 99.95.
You would thus get 2 Apple TV 4K for only CHF 99.95 (the list price is CHF 187.95 per piece, which means you save CHF 275.95).
If you move house 12 months after signing the contract, you may keep your first Apple TV 4K free of charge. Hence, you will benefit from 2 Apple TV 4K for CHF 0.- (i.e. a saving of CHF 375.90).
Any additional Apple TV 4K you might have bought belongs to you and, consequently, no fee is required.
Finally, please note that the cancellation fees of your current contract will only be refunded once your new contract is active.
10 Gbit/s Internet speed.
Save up to 1000.-/year Vs competitors.
We take care of your transfer.
The best service
N°1 hotline in Switzerland.