Fiber support. Information that could help you.
Click on the chapters to find the answers to the most frequently asked questions
related to Salt Fiber services.
Top 10 - FAQ
In most cases, this service is included in the activation fee. However, in some special cases (condominium building, single-family home, division of a property, construction of an additional apartment, etc.) you may be charged for additional costs for the installation of the fibre optic plug.
- If you wish to move an already existing fibre optic plug to a different room, the removal and reinstallation are not included in this service and will be at your cost.
- The service includes exclusively the installation of the fibre plug (and not the device setup).
If there is already a fibre plug at your place, please provide us with your OTO ID when you order, to speed up the activation process.
In this case, the installation requires usually around 20 working days.
If not, an electrician first needs to install a fibre optic connection in your building and/or a fibre plug in your flat.
Hence, the installation and activation process can take up to 7 weeks.
OTO stands for "Optical Telecommunication Outlet".
It’s the name given to the fiber connection installed in your home.
The number assigned to this connection – the OTO ID – is unique and allows to identify it precisely.
In order to activate your fiber connection, we need to know the OTO ID assigned to your home.
If your home is already connected to the optical fiber network, you should normally also have an optical telecommunication outlet (OTO).
If you are not sure whether this plug exists, your building management or the previous tenant should be able to provide this information.
The OTO is usually located in the living room, next to the main telephone outlet.
Your OTO ID corresponds to the number printed on the outlet.
As a rule, the OTO ID begins with A or B and uses the following format: A.XXX.XXX.XXX.X.
Important: Even if a building is connected to the fibre network, not necessarily all households are equipped with an optical fiber outlet.
Therefore, it might be necessary to install one to begin with.
Should this be your case please specify so when ordering and we will send an electrician to install one at your place.
A user guide is provided with your Salt Fiber Box.
This user manual is also available online.
Or you can just watch the Unboxing video on our youtube channel.
You will be informed by e-mail which OTO port to use on your fiber plug (generally port 1 or 2).
During the ordering process you can also request a home setup service for your devices (chargeable service, see above).
Please follow the instructions below, in order to check and correctly connect all cables to the Fiber Box:
- Disconnect all cables from the Box and from the OTO plug.
- Reconnect the fiber into the OTO plug on the correct number (port 1 or 2; this information was sent to you by e-mail.)
- Gently pull on the fiber cable to ensure that the cable is properly inserted. You should feel a slight resistance. (See video Salt Fiber Box - Cable check).
- Make sure the small blue lever is pulled upwards. (See video Salt Fiber Box - Blue lever).
- Make sure the grey connector (looks like a USB stick) is in place and cannot be removed. If the connector can be easily removed, it is incorrectly inserted and is not locked by the blue lever.
- Slide the grey connector down and secure the blue lever.
- Plug the fibre cable into the grey connector.
- Check the connection by pulling the cable slightly. If the grey connector comes out, repeat the previous step.
- Reconnect the power supply.
- The Power LED lights up and turns green then, after a few minutes, the Fiber LED lights up.
See also video Salt Fiber Box - Installation.
If the problem persists, please send us the information listed in this PDF document, so we can perform further checks.
- Please follow these step-by-step instructions:
- If the problem persists, please contact us and provide us with the details listed in the PDF document, to allow us to carry out further investigations.
Press the reset switch in the back of the modem with a paper clip or similar object.
You can perform a factory reset from the “Settings” menu:
Settings > System > Reset
Yes, you can keep your existing number.
As soon as you have ordered Salt Fiber, please submit your transfer request in "My Account".
Please note that your fixed phone number can only be transferred within 20 working days after the cancellation of your previous contract.
Please submit your request exclusively via "My Account" as any documents sent by post will not be considered.
If you intend to move, please contact us as soon as possible so we can plan the activation of your connection at your new address. In order to release the line (OTO plug) at your previous address, a time frame of 60 days is required.
1. Check if Salt Fiber is available at your new address.
Salt Fiber is available at your new adress
At least 60 days before you move
2. Call our customer care at 0800 700 500 and place a request for moving providing your new address, the wished activation date and the new OTO ID. (Make sure you have the OTO ID of your new address at hand when you make your request.)
Please note that an incorrect or missing OTO ID may delay the activation of Salt Fiber at your new home.
During your move
3. Please keep your modem and the Apple TV 4K.
After your move
4. Install your modem and Apple TV 4K. 5. Reset the Salt Fiber box to factory settings. (See “How do I set up my Salt Fiber Box?”) Your phone number and your credentials for My Account, Salt Video- and TV-services will remain unchanged. A connection fee of CHF 49.95 will be charged on your next monthly invoice.
Salt Fiber is not available at your new address or you are leaving Switzerland
After the deactivation of your connection
3. Return all associated equipment to Salt. If you wish to keep your Apple TV 4K and terminate your contract within the first 12 (twelve) months after signing, a fee of CHF 99.95 is due. If you cancel 12 (twelve) months or more after signing the contract, you may keep your Apple TV 4K free of charge. Any additional Apple TV 4K you might have bought belongs also to you.
In the event of a move with termination, the disconnection fee will amount to CHF 99.95 and will be applied to your last invoice.
10 Gbit/s Internet speed.
Save up to 1000.-/year Vs competitors.
We take care of your transfer.
The best service
N°1 hotline in Switzerland.