Find the answers you are looking for
You will easily find the answers to the most frequently asked questions in connection with Salt Fiber services in the following section.
Join Salt Fiber
- How can I find out if Salt Fiber is available at my address?
- How can I subscribe to the Salt Fiber offer?
- What are the benefits of Salt Fiber?
- Will I be assigned a fixed IP address?
- Are there any activation fees for Salt Fiber and, if yes, what is the amount?
- What are the setup costs for the Fiber Box and the Apple TV 4K?
- What are the costs of the fibre plug installation?
- What is the cost of the Apple TV 4K?
- Do I need an electrician to install the fiber plug at my place?
- How long will it take to activate Salt Fiber ?
- Is there a setup service for the Salt Fiber Box and the Apple TV 4K?
- Why do I need to indicate my mobile number when ordering?
- What is an "OTO ID" and where do I find it?
- How can I benefit from the offer “2 months of Salt Fiber subscription fees refund” to avoid double subscription fees?
- What is the minimum contract duration for the Salt Fiber subscription and are there any cancellation fees?
- Which contracts do I have to terminate if I want to switch to Salt Fiber?
- How many Apple TV 4k can I use?
- To whom belongs the equipment and what happens with it at the end of the contract?
- I have no telephone connection and/or no or poor Internet with LAN (Ethernet), what should I do?
- I have no internet connection with Wi-Fi, what should I do?
- I have poor internet connection with Wi-Fi, what should I do?
- Which precautions do I need to take with the fiber optic cable?
- Where can I find a complete Apple TV 4K User Guide?
- How do I set up my Salt Fiber Box?
- Where can I find my OTO fibre plug?
- Can I change the order of the channels?
- Can I watch TV and my recordings on my smartphone or tablet?
- If I cancel my Salt Fiber contract, will my TV subscriptions be terminated at the same time?
- Can I subscribe to Sky via Salt TV?
Join Salt Fiber
How can I find out if Salt Fiber is available at my address?
Here you can check the availability of fiber at your address: Check eligibility
How can I subscribe to the Salt Fiber offer?
What are the benefits of Salt Fiber?
Salt Fiber offers you several advantages:
- All-in-one solution for fixed line telephony, internet and TV
- Easy & quick equipment setup
- Maximum data down- & upload speed (up to 10 Gbit/s)
- Almost unlimited capacity: You can use several TV & internet services simultaneously in optimal conditions.
- Minimum latency
- Quality & Reliability:
- HD quality
- An optimal and stable connection since there are no interferences between fibre optic and other electronic equipment
- The benefits of fix and mobile combined:
- Benefit from the advantages of the fibre in combination with the Salt.tv & Salt.video apps, which allow you to access all live and registered content from anywhere and anytime.
- Favourable cost-benefit ratio:
- Total cost control due to a flat rate with unlimited talk & surf in Switzerland as well as unlimited access to over 275 TV channels
- Preferential tariffs for international calls
- All this at a competitive price allowing you to make considerable savings
What IP addresses will I be assigned?
Salt will provide you with an IPv4 and an IPv6 address which can neither be changed nor modified.
You will find them in the administration console http://salt.box :
- Page "Overview"
- Click on "détails"
- In the pop-up that displays, on the HSI table
- Your IP addresses are in front of "IPv4 address" and "IPv6 address".
Your IPv4 address has the following decimal format: 10.XXX.XXX.XXX
Your IPv6 address has the following hexadecimal format: 2a04:ee41:ff:XXXX/64
- Your IPv6 address is fixed and unique over internet, your IPv4 is fixed and assigned within Salt network.
- If you wish to have a fixed public IPv4 address, to be directly accessible from internet, please contact our call center (0800 780 800) to get the price and conditions.
Are there any activation fees for Salt Fiber and, if yes, what is the amount?
Yes, the activation fee of the Salt Fiber service is CHF 99.95.
On top of the fixed line telephony, Internet and TV & video services, this fee also includes a free Apple TV 4K box.
(Ref. "What is the cost of the Apple TV 4K?")
What are the setup costs for the Fiber Box and the Apple TV 4K?
What are the costs of the fibre plug installation?
In most cases, this service is included in the activation fee. However, in some special cases (condominium building, single-family home, division of a property, construction of an additional apartment, etc.) you may be charged for additional costs for the installation of the fibre optic plug.
- If you wish to move an already existing fibre optic plug to a different room, the removal and reinstallation are not included in this service and will be at your cost.
- The service includes exclusively the installation of the fibre plug (and not the device setup).
What is the cost of the Apple TV 4K?
The Apple TV Box 4K is offered to you, if you select it during the initial Salt Fiber ordering process.
In case of a subsequent order or if you choose to order additional TV boxes, you will be charged CHF 187.95/box.
Ref. Product & tariffs brochure
Do I need an electrician to install the fiber plug at my place?
If your building is connected to the fibre optic network but there is no fibre plug yet in your flat, a certified technician wil install one.
Therefore, it is important to provide us with a valid phone number and e-mail address during the ordering process, to ensure our service partner can take an appointment with you.
How long will it take to activate Salt Fiber ?
If there is already a fibre plug at your place, please provide us with your OTO ID when you order, to speed up the activation process.
In this case, the installation requires usually around 20 working days.
If not, an electrician first needs to install a fibre optic connection in your building and/or a fibre plug in your flat.
Hence, the installation and activation process can take up to 7 weeks.
Is there a setup service for the Salt Fiber Box and the Apple TV 4K?
Yes, during the order process you can request a home configuration package for your equipment.
This optional service includes:
Why do I need to indicate my mobile number when ordering?
In order to install your fibre optic connection, our service partner may need to contact you to make an appointment.
Therefore, it is important to provide a mobile phone number where our service partner can reach you quickly.
What is an "OTO ID" and where do I find it?
OTO stands for "Optical Telecommunication Outlet".
It’s the name given to the fiber connection installed in your home.
The number assigned to this connection – the OTO ID – is unique and allows to identify it precisely.
In order to activate your fiber connection, we need to know the OTO ID assigned to your home.
If your home is already connected to the optical fiber network, you should normally also have an optical telecommunication outlet (OTO).
If you are not sure whether this plug exists, your building management or the previous tenant should be able to provide this information.
The OTO is usually located in the living room, next to the main telephone outlet.
Your OTO ID corresponds to the number printed on the outlet.
As a rule, the OTO ID begins with A or B and uses the following format: A.XXX.XXX.XXX.X.
Important: Even if a building is connected to the fibre network, not necessarily all households are equipped with an optical fiber outlet.
Therefore, it might be necessary to install one to begin with.
Should this be your case please specify so when ordering and we will send an electrician to install one at your place.
How can I benefit from the offer “2 months of Salt Fiber subscription fees refund” to avoid double subscription fees?
- Please submit your refund request only after the activation of your Salt Fiber services.
- Make sure the last 1 or 2 invoices from your previous operator cover the same period of time as your first Salt Fiber invoices.
- Send us the copy(s) of the invoice(s) of your previous operator by e-mail to: email@example.com.
- We will assess your request in the following days.
Can I keep my existing fixed line number and how can I make the request?
Yes, you can keep your existing number.
As soon as you have ordered Salt Fiber, please submit your transfer request in "My Account".
Please note that your fixed phone number can only be transferred within 20 working days after the cancellation of your previous contract.
Please submit your request exclusively via "My Account" as any documents sent by post will not be considered.
What is the minimum contract duration for the Salt Fiber subscription and are there any cancellation fees?
There is no minimal contract duration.
The contract can be cancelled at the end of each month with a notice of 60 days.
The following cancellation fees apply:
- In case of cancellation during the 1st month a maximum fee of CHF 198.- will be applied.
- Then the cancellation fee decreases by CHF 6.- per month.
- After 33 months no cancellation fee is applied.
Which contracts do I have to terminate if I want to switch to Salt Fiber?
After ordering your Salt Fiber offer, you will need to cancel the contract you have with your current provider.
You can download the cancellation letter from our website here.
- Before cancelling please check the terms and conditions of your current contract (notification period and the early termination fees).
Should you have any question with this regard, please contact your current provider directly.
- If you want to make sure you will have no early termination fees to pay, please indicate your current contract end date as wish date for the Salt Fiber activation when ordering.
How many Apple TV 4k can I use?
To whom belongs the equipment and what happens with it at the end of the contract?
Salt Fiber Box:
The Salt Fiber Box (device and accessories) remains the property of Salt during the whole contract duration.
At the end of the contract, you have to return the whole equipment (including the original packaging) undamaged to Salt within 30 days.
If you fail to return the material - or if you return it damaged -, a compensation fee of maximum CHF 199.- will be charged (details ref. Product & tariffs brochure / Return of equipment).
Apple TV 4K Box:
The first Apple TV 4K Box is included in the Salt Fiber offer.
If you terminate the contract within the first 12 months, you have to return the TV box (incl. accessories) to Salt or pay a fee of 99.95 CHF.
After 12 months the TV box & accessories become your property and you can keep them in case of contract cancellation at no additional cost.
You can purchase up to 4 additional Apple TV 4K Boxes from Salt at the price of CHF 187.95 / box.
They are your immediate property and you can keep them in case of contract cancellation at no additional cost, independently of the cancellation date.
I move house, how do I need to proceed?
In the event of a move, you need to cancel your current Salt Fiber contract and place a new order for your future address.
The activation fee of CHF 99.95 will be applicable again.
However, Salt will reimburse you CHF 50.- on your first invoice to reduce the relocation costs to CHF 49.95.
(Please check if Salt Fiber is available at your new address on fiber.salt.ch).
Call the Salt Fiber Customer Service (0800 700 500) and place a request for move including the date.
Our Customer Service will terminate your current contract at the desired date.
It is your responsibility to place a new order for the future address.
Make sure you order in time taking into account the activation period, respectively the availability of your connection, i.e. of your OTO number.
After your order is completed, you will receive a new Salt Fiber Box and - if you have selected Salt TV - also a new Apple TV 4K.
Once the connection at your previous address is deactivated, you will have to return all associated equipment.
However, you can benefit from our special offer and keep the Apple TV 4K at the preferential price of CHF 99.95.
You would thus get 2 Apple TV 4K for only CHF 99.95 (the list price is CHF 187.95 per piece, which means you save CHF 275.95).
If you move house 12 months after signing the contract, you may keep your first Apple TV 4K free of charge. Hence, you will benefit from 2 Apple TV 4K for CHF 0.- (i.e. a saving of CHF 375.90).
Any additional Apple TV 4K you might have bought belongs to you and, consequently, no fee is required.
Finally, please note that the cancellation fees of your current contract will only be refunded once your new contract is active.
Can I use an optical fiber router from a different provider?
No, only the fiber box provided by Salt is compatible with the Salt Fiber offer.
What type of optical fiber modem is provided?
The Salt Fiber Box, which is provided to you for free, is a modem-router with wifi and an embedded multimedia server with UPNP (Universal Plug & Play).
The router includes advanced functionalities like Port forwarding, NAT, DynDns, Firewall, Parental Control, DMZ as well as URL blocking.
What equipment do I need in order to use Salt Fiber?
In order to access Salt Fiber services, it is mandatory to use the Salt Fiber Box, which is part of the service package.
It will be shipped to your address after you have ordered.
The Salt Fiber equipment is at your disposal for free, however, it remains the property of Salt and you will have to return it at the end of the contract.
It consists of the following items:
- Salt fiber modem ("Fiber Box")
- Power supply and cable
- Fiber cable (5m)
- Ethernet cable CAT6 (3m)
- User guide
In order to use the TV service, you need to order a Apple TV 4K Box and own a TV with an HDMI port.
How can I perform a reset of the Salt Fiber Box ?
Press the reset switch in the back of the modem with a paper clip or similar object.
How can I perform a reset of the Apple TV 4k?
You can perform a factory reset from the “Settings” menu:
Settings > System > Reset
How can I force-close an app with the Apple TV Remote?
- Turn on Apple TV.
- While on the Home screen, double-click the TV button on the Apple TV Remote.
- Swipe to the right on the trackpad to find the app you wish to force-close.
- Swipe up on the trackpad to force the app to close.
I have no telephone connection and/or no or poor Internet with LAN (Ethernet), what should I do?
Please follow the instructions below, in order to check and correctly connect all cables to the Fiber Box:
- Disconnect all cables from the Box and from the OTO plug.
- Reconnect the fiber into the OTO plug on the correct number (port 1 or 2; this information was sent to you by e-mail.)
- Gently pull on the fiber cable to ensure that the cable is properly inserted. You should feel a slight resistance. (See video Salt Fiber Box - Cable check).
- Make sure the small blue lever is pulled upwards. (See video Salt Fiber Box - Blue lever).
- Make sure the grey connector (looks like a USB stick) is in place and cannot be removed. If the connector can be easily removed, it is incorrectly inserted and is not locked by the blue lever.
- Slide the grey connector down and secure the blue lever.
- Plug the fibre cable into the grey connector.
- Check the connection by pulling the cable slightly. If the grey connector comes out, repeat the previous step.
- Reconnect the power supply.
- The Power LED lights up and turns green then, after a few minutes, the Fiber LED lights up.
See also video Salt Fiber Box - Installation.
If the problem persists, please send us the information listed in this PDF document, so we can perform further checks.
I have no internet connection with Wi-Fi, what should I do?
- Please follow these step-by-step instructions:
- If the problem persists, please contact us and provide us with the details listed in the PDF document, to allow us to carry out further investigations.
I have poor internet connection with Wi-Fi, what should I do?
- Please follow these step-by-step instructions
- If the problem persists, please contact us and provide us with the details listed in the PDF document, to allow us to carry out further investigations.
What should I do if I have an issue with my Salt Fiber Box?
Please call 0800 700 500 in order for Salt to run a remote diagnostic on your equipment.
A new Salt Fiber Box will be sent to your address.
Once received, please send back the faulty fiber box to Salt.
Which precautions do I need to take with the fiber optic cable?
- Handle with care.
- Do not touch the cable ends after unplugging them.
- Do not leave the cable ends unplugged.
- Do not try to clean the cable (neither blow nor rub on textiles).
- Do not bend the connectors.
- Do not pinch the cable.
- Do not make any tight knots with the cable.
Where can I find a complete Apple TV 4K User Guide?
On the Apple support site you will find the Apple TV User Guide.
It covers all subjects including:
- What’s new in tvOS 12
- Set up accounts
- Basics (Use the Siri Remote, Use the Apple TV Remote app, Enter text, Adjust audio etc.)
- Siri and dictation
- App Store
- iTunes films and TV programmes
- Home Sharing
- Beyond basics (Restrict access to content, Manage storage, Use other remotes etc.)
- Restart, reset, update
- Accessibility (Activate subtitles and captioning, Voice Over, Switch Control, Increase screen contrast)
How do I set up my Salt Fiber Box?
A user guide is provided with your Salt Fiber Box.
This user manual is also available online.
Or you can just watch the Unboxing video on our youtube channel.
You will be informed by e-mail which OTO port to use on your fiber plug (generally port 1 or 2).
During the ordering process you can also request a home setup service for your devices (chargeable service, see above).
Where can I find my OTO fibre plug?
The optical plug is usually in the living room.
However, the location can vary depending on the arrangements of the previous owner or tenant.
Please note that if you wish to relocate the optical plug, the relocation costs will be charged to you.
Do I need an Apple account to set up the Apple Apple TV 4K?
Yes, an Apple account is required for the Apple Apple TV 4k installation.
This will be needed to download the applications Salt.tv and Salt.video.
How can I connect my Apple TV 4K with my Home Cinema?
You can connect your Apple TV 4K to your home cinema via the HDMI cable.
What does the selection of dropdown values in the "Firewall features" actually do?
In expert mode, under Network > Firewall > Firewall features, you can select a value: High, Medium, Low or Off.
The following Matrix shows what protection is enabled.
|Main function (Access Control / MAC Filter / Schedule Rule)||Enabled||Enabled||Enabled|
|IDS - Intrusion detection (DDoS, Ping request from WAN)||Enabled||Enabled|
|WebFilter (URL Blocking / WebFilter features)||Enabled|
Can I change the order of the channels?
Yes, you can, by creating a favorites list with the channels on tv.salt.ch:
navigate to the “Settings” menu and go to the channel list.
Choose between “All channels” or “Favorites”.
The favorite channels will be visible in the TV Guide.
Can I watch TV and my recordings on my smartphone or tablet?
Yes, all your live TV channels and recordings are accessible from your smartphone or tablet.
If I cancel my Salt Fiber contract, will my TV subscriptions be terminated at the same time?
No, because optional payable TV bundles are independent of your Salt Fiber contract.
Hence, in case of early termination of Salt Fiber, you need to cancel your optional TV bundles separately and, if you wish, re-subscribe them with your new optical fibre provider.
Any fees for early termination of your optional TV bundles will be cancelled as soon as they are reactivated with your new provider.
You will then be able to use the same login credentials as before.
As for the basic TV packages (which are included in the Salt Fiber offer), they are linked to the Salt Fiber subscription and will expire at the same time.
The basic packages will be invoiced on a pro rata basis during the last month of your Salt Fiber contract, in case you have not activated them at contract start.
Can I subscribe to Sky via Salt TV?
You can subscribe to Sky (Sport or Show) only on their own website and not through the Salt TV application.
During the registration process on the Sky website, you will be requested to enter your voucher. This means that Sky will have recognised you as a Salt customer.
Subsequently, you will be able to switch from Salt TV to the Sky app with the Sky login credentials.
How can I access the VOD service?
You can access VOD using the Salt.video application on your Apple TV 4K.
The application needs to be installed from the AppStore.
Can I watch movies from my external USB disk or media server?
Yes, you will need to install an application like e.g. VLC on the Apple TV 4K.